Background: Joseph L.A. Hughes was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and grew up in Kansas City, Missouri; Stuttgart, Germany; and Leavenworth, Kansas; before returning to Colorado Springs at the age of nine. He received the B.S.E.E. degree from Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, in 1979, and the M.S.E.E. and Ph.D. degrees from Stanford University in Palo Alto, California, in 1980 and 1986, respectively.
Dr. Hughes joined the Georgia Tech faculty in 1986 as an assistant professor, specializing in integrated circuit design and testing. He has participated in several large research programs, including the NSF-funded Packaging Research Center and a DARPA-funded program on optical communication networks. He was named an associate chair in 1997 and then served as senior associate chair from 2006-2013, with responsibility for managing faculty workload, teaching assignments, class scheduling, program accreditation, and other aspects of academic program operation and administration.
Dr. Hughes is a Fellow of IEEE and of the American Society for Engineering Education. He has been a leader in engineering program development, including Georgia Tech’s computer engineering program and the GT-Savannah programs, assessment and accreditation activities, and engineering education initiatives. He has served as a member of the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET and of the IEEE Committee on Engineering Accreditation Activities.
- Educational program assessment
- Engineering education methods
- Integrated circuit testing
- VLSI system design
- Optical communication networks
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Fellow, American Society for Engineering Education
- President, IEEE Education Society, 2007, 2008; society officer, 2003-2012
- ECE Distinguished Educator Award, ECE Division of ASEE, 2005
- Georgia Tech Outstanding Service Award, 1998
- Member, Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, 2008-2013
- IEEE program evaluator for computer engineering and electrical engineering, 1995-present
- Member, IEEE Committee on Engineering Accreditation Activities, 2007-2013, and IEEE Accreditation Policy Council, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Electrical and Computer Engineering Division of ASEE, division officer, 1999-2003
- Member, Association for Computing Machinery
- Member, Eta Kappa Nu, Tau Beta Pi, Sigma Xi
Office: W-405 Van Leer Electrical Engineering Building
Phone: (404) 894-2975